Studies at the U.S. Institutes (SUSIs) for Young Women Leaders are intensive short-term academic programs the purpose of which is to provide groups of undergraduate student leaders with a deeper understanding of the United States while simultaneously enhancing their leadership skills. The Institute programs consist of a four-week academic residency with a balanced series of seminar discussions, readings, group presentations, and lectures. Site visits, leadership development, cultural activities, and community service complement the coursework and academic sessions. If conditions allow, the Institutes will include a one-week integrated study tour in the United States. Please note that if there is a need to conduct the program virtually, the student will need to take part in similar events of the program online by staying in his own country.
The five-week program will tentatively take place from June 21 to July 26, 2024 (subject to availability of funds).
Participants are expected to be highly motivated first, second, and third-year undergraduate students from colleges, universities, and other institutions of higher education. Candidates should demonstrate leadership through academic work, community involvement, and extracurricular activities. Their fields of study will be varied and may include the sciences, social sciences, humanities, education, business, and other professional fields.
Requirements for candidates and their qualifications
- be female;
- be a citizen of the Republic of Kazakhstan;
- be a full-time student of one of the local colleges/universities of Kazakhstan;
- demonstrate English language proficiency (speaking, reading, writing, listening);
- demonstrate interest in the Institute topic (Environmental Issues);
- be between 18 and 25 years of age;
- have at least one semester left of their undergraduate studies, and be committed to returning to their home universities following completion of the program;
- demonstrate strong leadership qualities and potential in their university and community activities;
- indicate a serious interest in learning about the United States;
- have a sustained high level of academic achievement, as indicated by grades, awards, and teacher recommendations;
- demonstrate commitment to community service and extracurricular university activities;
- have little or no prior study or travel experience in the United States or elsewhere outside of their home country;
- be mature, responsible, independent, confident, open-minded, tolerant, thoughtful, and inquisitive;
- be willing and able to fully participate in an intensive academic program, community service, and educational travel; and
- be comfortable with campus life, prepared to share living accommodations, and able to adjust to cultural and social practices different from those of their home country.
The program will cover all participant costs, including international and visa travel, travel allowances, domestic travel and ground transportation; book, cultural, mailing and incidental allowances; and housing and subsistence. If the program is conducted virtually, participants will be provided with a technology scholarship.
The application package must include the following:
- Completed application form;
- Official transcript in English (Please enclose your university grades for the most recent semester. First-year students must submit grades from their final year at a high school, lyceum, or specialized college);
- Scanned copy of passport ID page
How to Apply & Application Deadline
Application package must be submitted via e-mail to PASKazakhstan@state.gov no later than 18:00 (Astana time) on Friday, December 1, 2023, with “Application for SUSI for Young Women Leaders” in the subject line.
All application documents must be sent in one email!
Incomplete applications will be disqualified and will not be reviewed by the SUSI Selection Panel.
Selection updates and timelines
Applicants selected for a second round will receive email updates about their application status in December-January and will be invited for an interview.
Finalists of the program will be notified in April 2024.
Additional information about the program is available on the website: