TechWomen is an initiative of the U.S. department of State’s bureau of educational and cultural affairs to improve the status of women and girls around the world and promote advancement in science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) fields to empower women to achieve their full potential.
The program partners with innovative companies in the San Francisco bay area and Chicago, Illinois to host young women leaders, providing them with unique opportunities for mentorship, professional development and cultural exchange.
Over the past twelve years, more than 1,000 women from Algeria, Cameroon, Egypt, Jordan, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Kenya, Lebanon, Libya, Morocco, Nigeria, Pakistan, Palestinian Territories, Rwanda, Sierra Leone, South Africa, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, Tunisia, Uzbekistan, Yemen and Zimbabwe took part in TechWomen.
TechWomen Application for autumn 2024 is Open!
TechWomen’s application for autumn 2024 closes at 09:00 PST (23:00 Almaty Time) on Friday, January 10, 2024.
TechWomen participants are selected based on the eligibility requirements below. Applications are reviewed by independent selection committees consisting of industry leaders and regional experts. Semifinalists will be interviewed at the US Embassy in Kazakhstan.
Requirements for autumn 2024 TechWomen program.
Be women with at least two years of professional experience in a STEM (science, technology, engineering and mathematics) field. Please note that internships and other unpaid work experience do not count toward the two years of professional experience.
- Possess at least a bachelor’s/four-year university degree or equivalent degree.
- Proficient in written and spoken English.
- Be citizens and permanent residents of Kazakhstan at the time of application and while participating in the program.
- Be eligible for a J-1 US exchange visitor visa.
- Have not applied for a United States immigrant visa (other than a Diversity Immigrant Visa, also known as the «visa lottery») within the past five years.
- Do not have US citizenship or be a lawful permanent resident of the US.
Preference will be given to applicants who:
- Demonstrate themselves as emerging leaders in their chosen career path through their work experience, volunteer experience, community service, and education.
- Eager to return to their homeland to share what they have learned and become mentors to women and girls.
- Have limited or no work experience in the United States.
- Have a proven track record of volunteer or public service in their communities.
- Have a demonstrated track record of entrepreneurship and commitment to innovation, particularly in areas related to the environment and climate.
- Demonstrate a willingness to participate in exchange programs, welcome mentoring opportunities and develop new partnerships, and demonstrate confidence and maturity.
TechWomen encourages people with a variety of skills and experiences to apply, including people with disabilities.
As part of the online application, all applicants must provide names and contact information for two professional or personal references.
Only semi-finalist candidates will be contacted with recommendations.
References must reflect your professional qualifications and/or personal qualities.
Recommendations may include, but are not limited to, professional contacts (e.g., supervisors, peers), academic advisors, or others who can speak to your experience and qualities related to the TechWomen selection criteria.
Applicants must submit 8 short essays of up to 200 characters.
Program selection schedule: important dates for participants
January 10, 2024: Closing of application for the 2024 program
April 2024: linking with semi-finalists.
May 2024: making final selection decisions.
September-October 2024: TechWomen program USA 2024
All applicants will be notified of the outcome of their applications.