Erasmus Mundus – is a program for the exchange and cooperation in the field of higher education aimed at improving the quality of European higher education and to promotion of dialogue and understanding between peoples and cultures through cooperation with third countries. In addition, the program promotes the development of human resources and international capability of cooperation between higher education institutions in third countries through increased exchange programs between the European Union and these countries.
Few programs of the European Union, if any, have such all-European scale.
In the program Erasmus Mundus about 90% of European universities are involved. Since the opening of the program in 1987, it was attended by about 1.9 million students. More than 3,100 higher education institutions from 31 countries are participants of the program, and more universities intend to join.
In the period from 2009 to 2013 EU plans to strengthen support for the most talented students and professors from countries outside the EU by providing grants for participation in joint programs in Europe. The scope of the program will be extended to doctoral level, in addition, we plan to increase financial assistance provided by European students.
Planned budget for the program Erasmus Mundus will be 950 million euros for the period from 2009 to 2013 according to preliminary projections.
About the project
Erasmus Mundus program provides support for:
- Higher education institutions that intend to implement joint programs at the postgraduate level (Action 1) or to create inter-institutional partnership between the participating universities in Europe and third countries (Action 2);
- individual students, researchers and university teachers who wish to study / research / training course in one of the above programs or collaborative partnerships (Step 1 and Step 2);
- any organization engaged in the field of higher education that wishes to carry out projects aimed at improving the attractiveness, profile and image of European higher education worldwide (Action 3).
Erasmus Mundus 2009-2013 is realized through the following activities:
- Action 1: Joint Programs Erasmus Mundus at Master level (Action 1 A) and Doctorate (Action 1 B), including scholarships / grants for participation in these programs;
- Action 2: Erasmus Mundus partnerships between universities of the European Union and third countries, including scholarships and grants for exchange programs at all academic levels;
- Action 3: Promotion of European higher education through projects to improve Europe’s attractiveness as a place of education and education center of the highest quality in the world.